About Hot Lake Springs Resort

Stay at the most historic hot springs lodging in Oregon. Two million gallons of mineral rich hot springs water emerges from the Earth daily. Five lake side soaking pools are available for relaxation.
 

Early History

The hot springs, historically significant for their medicinal properties and use by Native Americans, were situated near a large bluff and became a popular stop for Oregon Trail travelers.

Read More

1864 - 1931

Construction and Heyday

In 1864, Newhard built a wooden structure with various businesses. A new brick hotel, designed by architect John V. Bennes, was constructed in 1906. Dr. Phy bought the hotel in 1917, turning it into a sanitorium, and it remained a popular attraction until his death in 1931.

Read More

1934 - 1991

Fire and later years

In 1934, a fire destroyed most of the wooden structures of the hotel, leaving only the 65,000-square-foot brick portion standing. After various ownership changes and attempts at revival, the hotel was abandoned by 1991, falling victim to vandalism and decay.

Read More

2003 - 2019

Restoration by Manuel Family

In 2003, David Manuel purchased the deteriorated building and began restoration, opening it for tours in 2005. The hotel eventually functioned as a bed and breakfast with various amenities in 2010. However, by 2019, the harsh Oregon elements started to undo years of restoration efforts.

Read More

2020 - Present

The Lodge at Hot Lake Springs

Grande Hot Springs RV Resort's owners bought Hot Lake property in 2020 and began restoration, including historic preservation projects. Current amenities include updated springs, rooms, a movie theater, pub, and more.

Read More

Our Awards

Early History

The hot springs themselves rest at the foot of a large bluff, and were often used by Native Americans or it’s medicinal powers before settlement and colonization occurred in the area; the lake was named “Ea-Kesh-Pa” by the Nez Perce. Later it became a popular stop for weary travelers on the Oregon Trail.

The famous 1906 brick hotel, now under renovation, was once called the “Mayo Clinic of the West” and attracted visitors and patients from around the world.

Hot Lake’s heyday lasted into the mid 1930’s. A devastating fire in 1934 destroyed all wooden structures, but the 1906 brick building survived.

Construction and Heyday (1864 - 1931)

In 1864, Fitzgerald Newhard built the first wooden structure of the building, which faced toward the bluff rather than outward toward the lake. The structure was similar to the contents of a modern-day shopping mall, containing a post office, blacksmith, dance hall, barber shop, bath house, and several other businesses.

By 1884, the Union Pacific Railroad commenced its construction, running near Hot Lake. In 1903, the original wooden structure was demolished, and construction began on a new hotel and various bath houses. Dr. Phy became involved with the project in 1904, and the brick structure of the building began to be built two years later. Well-renowned architect John V. Bennes of nearby Baker City has been attributed to the architectural design of the building, reminiscent of the Colonial era; Bennes also designed countless buildings on the Oregon State University campus, as well as several buildings in Portland, Oregon. By 1908, the brick building was complete, housing just over 100 guest rooms. Soon after, the Central Railroad of Oregon built a 4-mile (6.4 km) line from Richmond directly to the hotel in 1912.

In 1917, Dr. Phy purchased the hotel and resort, renaming it “Hot Lake Sanitorium”, housing guest rooms, medical wards, offices, and a kitchen/dance hall. The building was from then on known not only as a resort for the rich, but also as a hospital for the ill; the geothermal mineral waters from the springs were used and experimented with to help treat patients and guests, making the resort a pioneering figure in western experimental medicine.

By 1924, the hotel was a major tourist attraction; countless new visitors arrived daily from all over the world. The Mayo brothers, founders of the Mayo Clinic, were frequent visitors to the hotel, as well as Wild Bill Hickok. Dr. Phy, the central manager and owner of the property, died in 1931 of pneumonia.

Fire and Later Years (1934 - 1991)

On May 7, 1934, a fire destroyed the majority of the building’s right side, completely demolishing the wooden structures of the hotel; the 65,000-square-foot (6,000 m2) brick portion of the building, however, survived.

The building had contained nearly 300 rooms and dining areas for over 1,000 guests prior to the fire. From then on, business at the hotel declined, and eventually the hospital area on the third floor was the only functioning business.

A flight school and nurse’s training center was established at the hotel during World War II, and U.S. Route 30 was later built, with Oregon Route 203 branching off of it and running right by the front of the hotel grounds. The attraction of the complex declined in later years, and its use as a resort came to a halt in 1953 when it was converted solely to a nursing home by Dr. Roth. By 1975, ownership of the building had changed, and a short-lived restaurant and night club was opened, which only ran for two years.

In the mid-1980s, Dr. Lyle Griffith purchased the property and used one corner of the hotel as a bath house; by 1991, the bath house closed down, and the hotel was abandoned, falling prey to local vandals and the elements.

Restoration by Manuel Family (2003-2019)

In 2003, the building, which was literally falling apart, was purchased from Charles and Louise Rhea by David Manuel. Restoration began soon after; the building was greatly dilapidated, with all 368 windows broken and/or missing, and a sparsely-remaining roof. After two years of construction, it was opened to the public for tours in 2005, while individual guest rooms were still being sponsored and renovated.

In 2008, the west wing of the building collapsed. In 2010, the building functioned as a bed and breakfast, with dozens of restored rooms, a spa, restaurant, bronze foundry, and a museum.

By 2019 the harsh Eastern Oregon elements had begun to undo years of hard work by the Manuel family.

The Lodge at Hot Lake Springs (2020- Present)

The owners of Grande Hot Springs RV Resort next door to Hot Lake Springs purchased the Hot Lake property in 2020. Restoration was underway and includes many historic preservation projects, including the Grand Entry Porch, Veranda, Balustrade, and Historic Spring House.

Current amenities include an updated hot springs soaking area, updated rooms, and beer, wine, and cider sales on-site.

The Movie Theater along with with food & beer service is now open to the public and guests Thursday to Sunday.

As of December 2021, The Thermal Pub opened for both guests and the public from Wednesday to Sunday from 11 am to 10 pm and Monday and Tuesday from 2 pm to 10 pm.

Day Use Reservations have also been opened to the public. Day Use Soaking is available by appointment only for $20/person. Make a reservation today!

Keep up to date by following us on Facebook & Instagram!